John David Berdahl
His other musical acts and projects include groups such as Math-amphetamines, The (2005 - 2009), and solo endeavors such as JOHN DAVID BERDAHL (2008 - 2009), Bashful Elephants, The (2014 - 2016), and wild beaches (2016 - Present).
John was born in the northern portion of Moorhead, Minnesota.
John received a BA in Fine Art Drawing from Minnesota State University Moorhead in 2012.
He has been a teaching artist and a valued member of the downtown Fargo's Plains Art Museum's staff.
He has partnered, collaborated and volunteered with Minnesota State University Moorhead, the Ann Arbor Art Center, Fargo-Moorhead Visual Artists, the North Dakota Autism Center, Plains Art Museum, HeartSprings Community Healing Center, Ink for Autism, VSA of North Dakota and The Arts Partnership to promote art education, creative inclusion and acceptance of persons with Autism Spectrum Disorders.
He has been a teaching artist in residence at the Anne Carlsen Center of Fargo, and a special needs adviser and a curator for the Fargo-Moorhead Visual Artists.
Currently, he is a studio artist in Fargo, teaches for VSA North Dakota, Moorhead Area Public Schools, the Katherine Kilbourne Burgum Center for Creativity, and tutors individuals and groups privately, as needed, who seek to become more adept at expressing themselves in a more artful and stylish manner.
John is the second son of notable musician, personality and North Dakota Rock Country Music Hall of Famer David "Davey Bee" Berdahl.
He is also the older brother of Matthew D Berdahl, actor, vocalist, director, wedding officiant, announcer, photographer and personal trainer.
He was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome in 2014.
He currently resides in Fargo, North Dakota.
- “John David Berdahl, a force of nature and a fabulous artist... is an upbeat and driven local artist who was born in Moorhead, MN... has a passion for making and creating in many mediums...” Dawn Summerall, Fargo-Moorhead Visual Artists, 2015
- “... [The] sweetest, most enthusiastic staff person! [He] adds so much... ” Colleen Sheehy, Executive Director, Public Art St. Paul, 2015
- “John Berdahl is a talented, imaginative, and energetic individual who brightens the lives of all he meets. John is a musician, writer, and visual artist — a true renaissance man... and is exactly the kind of person you’d want to include — full of gratitude, optimism, creativity, and exciting vision.” Amy Richardson, Promotions Director, Division of Performing Arts, North Dakota State University, 2015
- "John... [is] amazing at writing pop songs... " Gavin Rehder, Diane Miller, High Plains Reader, 2013
- "Growing up, John was way into music with swirling harmonies including the Beach Boys and a lot of 60’s psychedelic rock. When he met up with Paul he was introduced to more contemporary music especially 'The Elms.' GHP’s music seems to be a combination of these sensibilities." Doug Nayes, High Plains Reader, 2010
- "What started out as a side-project for the Blue Fairy Godmothers' John Berdahl has blossomed into one of the most buzzed-about projects in town. No stranger to great pop melodies, John has taken the formula of the Godmothers and tweaked it a bit. At times noisy, but most of the time pretty, GhostHandPunch has already won MadonnaRama, as well as come in second place in HPR's best bets of 2008. Their debut full-length, 'The Spectral Dance,' was released in 2007 and is as good as it gets for local releases. For proof, check out 'Prairie Rose' and 'These Cheeks, Where the Worm Never Dies.'" Matt Beshear, High Plains Reader, 2009
- Sharon R Mendola Memorial Scholarship, Minnesota State University Moorhead, Moorhead, MN, 2011
- Second Place Winner, Best Band in Fargo: GHOSTHANDPUNCH, Best Bets of 2008, High Plains Reader, Fargo, ND, 2008
- Best New Band: GHOSTHANDPUNCH, Best New Bands of 2007 Event, High Plains Reader, Fargo, ND, 2007
- wild beaches (2016 - Present)
- Bashful Elephants, The (2014 - 2016, 2020)
- JOHN DAVID BERDAHL (2008 - 2009, 2028)
- GHOSTHANDPUNCH (2007 - 2014, 2027)
- Math-amphetamines, The (2005 - 2009, 2025)
- Blue Fairy Godmothers, The (2003 - 2014), A Blue Fairy Godmother (2023)
- Interlude, wild beaches (2017)
- Out EP, The Bashful Elephants (2016)
- In EP, The Bashful Elephants (2016)
- On EP, The Bashful Elephants (2016)
- The Art of Change, The Bashful Elephants (2015)
- Routine Maneuvers, The Bashful Elephants (2014)
- Pretty Much Everything Before, The Blue Fairy Godmothers (2014)
- Decemberweary, The Blue Fairy Godmothers (2014)
- Soft Bone, The Blue Fairy Godmothers (2013)
- The Wheel EP, GHOSTHANDPUNCH (2010)
- Wake Up!, GHOSTHANDPUNCH (2010)
- Wuva, JOHN DAVID BERDAHL (2009)
- Fuzzy Logic, The Math-amphetamines (2009)
- 226 Fifteen Second Songs, JOHN DAVID BERDAHL (2008)
- That Spectral Dance, GHOSTHANDPUNCH (2007)
- 1 + 1, The Math-amphetamines (2005)